Thursday, March 8, 2012

No-Sew Ruffle Tote

I saw this craft on pinterest a while ago and I just had to make one! I love tote bags and thought it was a cute way to make a new one with a little of my own added flair. First, I headed to the craft store to pick up my materials: plain canvas tote, material (I used a bundle of coordinated fabric quarters), matching ribbon and glue sticks for my glue gun.
I measued even lines on the tote, 2" in from the top and every 2" to the bottom giving me 5 rows for fabric ruffles. Then I cut each piece of fabric into 3.75" strips.
Starting at the bottom, I started by putting 1" of hot glue on the line drawn on the tote bag. Then I placed the fabric on the glue and pinched it slightly to create that "ruffled" look. I did this all the way to the end of the tote. Continue this with each piece of fabricc. Then hot glue a piece of ribbon on hte top of edge of the top piece of fabric. I did not wrap the fabric onto the back side of the tote - if you want to do this, you'll need wider fabric (min was 21" wide, you'll need at least 40" wide to do both sides to account for the ruffling).

No comments:

Post a Comment